Every war in Europa Universalis II has two sides, each of which is a war coalition. In every war, one side is the aggressing side, or the aggressors, and the other the defensive side or defenders. Which side a country is on makes a difference when making peace.
Determining the Aggressor Edit
The rules for determining aggressors are fairly simple:
- When a country sends a declaration of war, its side in the war is the aggressing side.
- When a country makes a separate peace, it is the aggressor in any new wars that are created as an effect.
Effects of Aggression Edit
The following rules distinguish between aggressors and defenders in a war:
- In a peace treaty, taking a city province in tribute costs 2 badboy in an aggressive war, but just 1 badboy in a defensive war.
- The aggressor loses a war if it pays tribute, or if it accepts any white peace. (A defender loses a war only if it pays tribute.)
- When a country loses a war, it automatically cancels any trade embargo it had on the winners, and it may not reimpose the embargo while the truce lasts.
- If a country that is the Defender of the Faith loses a war, it loses the title.